Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Final Destination

FFI.
For Further Instructions.
Fit For Instructions.
To ORD, that is.
Or in my case...
ROD.

Went for my Dental FFI 2 weeks ago on a Wednesday and also my Medical FFI on the following Wednesday. Both appointments were booked on the same day but unfortunately on different dates. Dental was done in Safti MI whereas Medical in MMI. It would be so much better if these could be done together at the same place and on the same day.
It takes only a minute or so, or even lesser time for the Dental Officer to finish checking my teeth and saying goodbye to me,
after waiting for more than a hour for him to get his ass moving.
I don't mind waiting for so long if I were to be collecting a grand prize or a box of diamonds.
But to be going through a process which requires only a minute is simply not worth the time wasted.

Same goes for the Medical one.

The moment I registered myself at the counter, I knew what was in stored for me.
I sat down and waited patiently for my turn to come.
While I was there looking around and observing those Chao Keng people who had come to report sick, I noticed a familiar face walking in. He registered at the counter and started walking towards the waiting area. We had eye contacts and naturally smiled at each other. Not in a gayish manner but more of a friendly kind of way.
He was a RP from my workplace.
I did a duty with him some time back and he remembered me as well.
He was there for his Medical FFI too.
It seemed like we had something in common and we managed to have some decent, but boring conversations.

After some time, my name was called and I was told to go to another location.
Did my urine test, blood pressure etc and then going back to my seat.
To wait.
I basically changed places so that I had a new environment to wait.
Luckily, John and Kumar were there too. Not so lonely anymore when I had people together with me waiting. At least I knew I wasn't the only one being the jackass.

We finished our checkups with the Medical Officer and decided to go grab a bite at the nearby canteen, which is part of the NUS campus.
Coincidentally, we saw the RPs whom I have met earlier on and sat together.
Finished our food and it was time for us to go back to our workplace.
It didn't occur to me the slightest bit that I would be able to escape from the scorching sunlight that afternoon.

God blessed me hard.

Blessed me so much that the RP offered us a ride in his car.
The thoughts of walking all the way out and taking a bus totally rape my mind senseless especially on a hot sunny day.
Fortunately I had made small talks with the RP earlier on which probably made him feel bad if he didn't offer us a ride.
When he asked if we needed a lift back to CMPB, my mind was like...

'Are you fucking kidding me?!'

But I was pretending to be hesitant, making him think that I don't feel good if I rejected.
He gave us a ride back and then going home afterwards.
If only I knew his name.
I would definitely spread his good deeds all over and telling everyone to keep a lookout for people like him in stranded situations.

You never know who will be of any help.
Even the most distant stranger can be someone who comes to your aid.

Or probably someone who can give you Aids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home