Saturday, April 23, 2005

Sweet Dreams are Made of These

Went for a dental appointment yesterday morning at Alexandra hospital. It was actually a referral made by Safti MI 2 weeks back.

I had an X-Ray taken by one of the nurses and was told to wait for my name to be called. While I was sitting down patiently for my turn, I could see a few others who have already done their surgeries as they were holding a tiny plastic bag with their tooth in it. How I wished that mine were done too.
I was enjoying the time spent waiting meaninglessly instead of having to be back at the workplace and thoughts were running through in my mind.
I was thinking that the removal of wisdom teeth aint that bad. It's so common nowadays and everyone is going through it. It might hurt but it wouldn't be a big deal afterall.

But I was wrong.

The dentist told me that one of my teeth in my lower jaw could be infected due to the wisdom tooth pushing against it, leaving a gap whereby bacteria could settle on. I have 3 other wisdom teeth, 2 upper and another lower one, which was nothing new to me. Apart from all these, there was something else.
According to the X-Ray, I am still having a Milk tooth. The Adult tooth which was supposed to be replacing the Milk tooth was trapped inside. It is because of a Supernumerary tooth which is blocking the way that makes this possible. And if these weren't enough, I have to do root canal on the tooth beside the Milk one if there is infection found. I had no idea what the hell the dentist was talking about when she related all these terms to me. It was after when I returned back to my camp then I had a better understanding with the help of my Dental officer. He explained to me that a supernumerary tooth is like a buried one. It has no means of growing whatsoever and is kept redundant deep in the gums. It is adviced that a removal of such blockage is necessary. He also told me that I might have to wear bracers next time in order for the Adult tooth to grow out smoothly.

The dentist at the hospital told me that mine was more of a rare case.
There was a total of 6 teeth that has to be removed considering the fact that some of them had to be done as soon as possible.
She told me there was no way I am going for the Local anaesthesia. The pain could be so intense that even a gunshot wound on my back would be like a pinch on my arse.
I was given the only option to go for General anaesthesia. I was scheduled to go for an operation on May 4, which falls on a Wednesday.
Good luck to me. I am going to need it.
Do what you have to.
I am all yours, when I lie down on the bed unconsciously,
with my mouth wide open.
Anything would be fine...
As long as you don't take away my life too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home