Saturday, March 26, 2005

National Security

Got back from camp duty earlier on.
It feels just like spending the night at a place of an illegal immigrant. The duty room is messy, filled with unwanted stuffs lying around and there's a foul smell in it. There's a mattress for each duty personnel to sleep on and it doesn't get any cleaner each day. Everyone shares the same mattress and it is very disturbing to know that when there's people who have skin problems or odour issues. I would usually bring my own towel to use it as something for my head to lie on while sleeping. Pillows are dumped every corner so I reckoned that sleeping without one would be a better idea. There were no bolsters included so if there is anyone who needs a hug, he would have to bring his own. Last alternative would be to hug each other to sleep and ending up playing each other's backside. Fortunately, there's an old but operational TV to turn to if all else fails. A total of 3 NSFs, inclusive of a medic are doing duties everyday. It's done in a turn basis and each of us gets to do around 2 to 3 duties a month.

What's the point of doing camp duty?
It is to ensure security on our grounds. So that there won't be any outsiders invading our premises. For fear that there might be terrorists around.
Yeah Right.
I have been doing duties for more than a year now... and probably the most terrifying thing that has happened to me was going to the toilet in the middle of the night by myself. What could be more worse than having to pee while you are half asleep. I wouldn't care even there were terrorists trying to bomb the whole damn place. All they need to do is ask me and I will gladly go somewhere else and leave them alone before they start tearing the whole place apart.

What's the point of having Regimental Police guarding the main gates then?
If anybody could go pass them, then probably we won't be able to stop the person either.
Retarded.
Doing camp duty is redundant and such a waste of my time.
To the person who already realised my point of view but still giving us duties...
Fuck You.

Unless I have medical reasons, if not I will still have to continue doing duties. I don't mind if the other 2 are people I feel comfortable with.
There was once I did duty with Chris, a guy from the enlistment department.

Chris is one funny guy. Although he looks like a gaming freak and IS one, he doesn't sound nerdy at all. In fact, he talks in a cool manner with a pretty good sense of humour. You can tell that he reads alot and has a good command of english too. It would have done him good if what he read was educational textbooks instead of novels. He could have been an 'A' level or Diploma graduate by then. Actually, there was one thing which I noticed about him. He kept wearing the same clothings. The same shabby green color top and an unattractive pair of jeans. He would be seen wearing the same outfit all the time other than his uniform. I wasn't sure if his jeans and shoes were the same but I could bet his green top was. Chances are.. either he kept wearing the same top without washing it or he bought a number of tops that are of the same color, and the only person I know who would do that is Ronald Macdonald.

I remembered doing that duty with Chris on a weekday. Doing duties with him were always good since he would surely bring his X-box along. We played the X-box for awhile and were starting to get sick of it already. So we decided to do something else. Something which was more exciting and lame. People who always stay back and do OT are considered No-Life hindrance to us because we had to open and lock the doors for them. So we decided to give those bastards a scare of their lifetime. We tip-toed to one of the rooms and found out that a medic by the name of Kumar was still doing his work. We took off our shoes as they were giving out abit of noise. We had to be sure that no one noticed us. As we carefully made ourselves in, I looked at Chris in the eye and couldn't take it anymore. I realised that what we were doing was beginning to be dumb and childish to the extreme. I tried to control my laughter but failed. I let out a loud laugh and Chris couldn't take it anymore too. We laughed like madmen, grabbed our shoes and ran all the way back to the duty room. We were bare footed and carried the shoes in our hands. I wondered if Kumar was actually terrified by the laughter afterall.
What the fuck were we thinking?
Those were the fun duty times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home