Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Children of the Atom

What do you need to know before enlisting in the army?
Naturally, one might wonder whether his life would be good or not. Well... maybe thinking about having a good life in the army would be abit too much to ask for. Usually a guy would be satisfied if he has a smooth one, which is free from confinements and extra duties.
Actually, there's only one thing you really need to know.
If you are not having a Pes status of either a C or E, you are screwed.
Pes status meaning Physical Employment status. It determines whether or not it's going to be tough and also where you will be posted to. Luck can overcome this, but the chances of able bodied males landing up wasted are slim. So, unless you have a godfather by the name of Lee Kuan Yew, don't count on it.

NSFs who are posted to CMPB have medical conditions. They are either posted directly here or after they have a medical downgrade in Pes status. And what do you expect from a group of Pes C and Es?
Nothing.
You won't be expecting much results from them. Having a reasonable amount of job done would be considered heavenly. You can't blame us you know. One look at us and you can tell we are different or what you may call, special. Not all of us look retarded but there are actually a few who do. I feel sorry for them but frankly speaking, there's nothing much I can do to help. All I can do is try my best to avoid them just in case I am being mistaken as one too.

I went back to work this morning after a long weekend which lasted till yesterday. As I was waiting for the usual roll call to begin, Elias came over and told me some news. He told me there were two new NSFs being posted over and one of them was a hobbit. (I did know that channel 5 just screened fellowship of the ring the day before but there's no need to make a fuss out of it. Furthermore, the show was like more than 4 years back and TCS 5 was premiering as though nobody watched it before. Those who have not watched it could be due to 2 reasons. They could be either total geeks from outer space or they couldn't afford movie tickets. But for people that poor, they probably won't own a television set anyway.) True enough, I saw him with my own eyes. A hobbit. He appeared to be a short guy with a fairly strong built and was smiling at me when our eyes first met. I was not comparing him to a hobbit until I realised the similarities of having a pure heart and all. According to Elias, his name was Bodoh Baggins. Speaking of height, we have another guy who is so tall that he can wipe the top of the cupboards without even standing on top of a chair like we do. There are also fat, shabby,hairy ones and guys who are skinny to the bone. Having a combination like this, the whole place looks more like a circus to me.

Actually, people have been asking me how come I am posted to CMPB and also whether I do have any medical conditions or not. I look so normal and yet I get to enjoy the life of a handicap.
The truth is, there is a medical background about me. I may appear to be normal but there's more to it than that. I have no physical abnormalities. I can do all form of exercises without any excuse. In other words, I am physically fit. But I am not, in terms of mentally. I was told that I am not mentally fit for National service and I could not be enlisted into a combat unit even if I wanted to. It broke my heart into pieces just like that. All I did was tell the medical officer how I felt and what was in my mind the whole time. I didn't feel that I was abnormal at all. He told me that I was suffering from Schizophrenia Disorder. It's a kind of mental disorder with pyschotic behaviours. No wonder I had cruel intentions of abusing cute lovable animals. Sometimes I couldn't sleep well and I could vaguely hear demons calling out to me in my mind. As I cleared my head and focused deeply into my thoughts, the demons turned out to be Smurfs singing their favourite song. I would then wake up the following day with a strong will of taking over the world. Nobody could explain why I am behaving like this. All I can think of which is possible of triggering my condition is that sombody owed me 5 cents and had no intention of returning to me after for so long.