Saturday, July 30, 2005

Hitch'in a Ride

Went to Annabelle's house few days back on Tuesday.

She stays in Jurong West whereas my place is in Tampines. To be going from my house to hers would be like travelling from one end to the other.
Since I am born in the year of the Monkey, and that I had to travel so far to reach my destination,
the whole scenario could be translated into a similar tale well known by many.

Xi You Ji.

In English it would be called Journey to the West.

I went to her house straight from work so it wasn't that bad. As usual, I went there and ate dinner together. Watch some TV and it was about time for me to go home. Time passes real fast whenever I am with her. I got dressed up and was preparing to leave. The minute when I wore my shoes and stood up, her elder sister got home and was standing at the front door opening the gate. I greeted her and she asked me a question which I felt that was not important to her at that point of time. It was only after when I realised that her boyfriend had drove her home and that he might be able to give me a ride too then I found the question appealing.

'Where do you live?'

I told her that I stay in Tampines and she replied something which made me feel energized. I was almost dying and demoralised to the max knewing that I had to spend so much time sitting in the train for God knows how long in order to go home. I love spending time with Annabelle at her place... But the sickening feeling that comes whenever I am about to go home is unavoidable.
It was as though I had seen the light.
Her boyfriend, Eugene stays in Pasir Ris and it was fine for me to tag along since he's going the same direction. Her sister asked me if I wanted a lift from him. She told me that Eugene was fine with either I came along or not.

I thought for a while and said I don't mind.

Let's be truthful for now.
Aint I a complete idiot if I said no for an answer?
Moreover her sister had made the initiative by asking me. It would be impolite to turn down her offer and also rude to decline when she's so persuasive. I don't really have a choice when she kept insisting, even though I felt quite shy and not willing at first.

I left her house and hopped onto the car.
During the journey, I and Eugene did try making some conversations. It was pretty awkward for us to remain silent throughout the journey without even having small talks. Our conversations were like a sentence each. Every now and then either he or I would try to ask the other a question. A short sentence kind of response would be made and it would end the topic of what we were talking about in the beginning.
Maybe there weren't any common subject for us to relate to each other at all.
We soon realised that although it felt strange to be keeping quiet all the while, it also felt likewise when we were trying to create unnatural communications. We kept to ourselves for the rest of the journey and soon I reached my area. I left Jurong at around 10.20pm and reached Tampines before 11pm.
I told him that it was the first time I had reached home in such a short time and gave thanks to him. He smiled back and said 'Welcome'.

Welcome meaning I am willingly invited or permitted to take a lift from him anytime.

If you say so, buddy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home