Saturday, July 16, 2005

Grudge Match

Did a duty with Kong and Li Soon on Wednesday night.

It so happens that Li Soon being the medic, was activated during the late afternoon. He had to rush to the nearby Army Recruitment Centre to attend to a person who was suffering from severe gastric.
When I was told to send a medic over, I quickly went around in search of Li Soon. I found him inside the Mess room busy playing carrom and told him to stop for the time being. At first he thought that I was just pulling his leg but I sounded convincing enough for him to get up and start moving.
Anyway, there wasn't a reason for me to pull his legs since he is standing tall at around 1.90m.
His legs are obviously long enough already.
He went around seeking help from other medics asking what to do and all. He didn't really know how to handle situations like this and was panicking.
After a while, he left in a hurry and left Kong and I two bonus surprises.

I had no idea how and why but,
the duty room was left unlocked and Li Soon had brought the keys along with him.

There was no way for us to lock or unlock the main and side doors without the keys. There wasn't a way for anyone else to draw keys either, since the main key press was locked too.
Luckily, it was evening time and everyone was going home. We relaxed abit and hoped that Li Soon would come back soon enough before anyone finds out.
I and Kong decided to call him to buy dinner back for us since he's already outside and it would be of lesser trouble.
Little did we know that he's in Alexandra hospital and not somewhere near Bukit Merah central. He also said that he won't be back until one or two hours later as he had to wait for the patient to be released.

That's some good news.

If the duty officer came around and asked why we didn't lock the front door, we would be fucked. Maybe we could give some lame excuses and buy some time but if the duty keys were found not with us, even God wouldn't be able to save us.

There wasn't any solutions and the only thing we could do was wait for him to come back and also hope that nothing would go wrong.
We did ask him why he didn't lock the door and why the hell he brought the keys with him. It's not like the keys have any use outside the building too.
He said he was in a rush and didn't have time to lock the door and ran off with the keys still in his pocket.

Probably he needs 2 or 3 hours to lock a door.
That's why he didn't have the time.

Fortunately, leaving the door unlocked and going off with the keys is still a manageable combination.
Imagine him locking the door and running off with the keys. I and Kong won't be able to enter the duty room in the first place.
Duty personnels without any access to the duty room itself.
This would definitely drive the duty officer insane.

It was about time for I and Kong to settle a match. While waiting for Li Soon to come back, we brought the carrom board and seeds into the duty room. We had been anticipating for that moment since a long time ago. Our stomachs were growling and somebody had to buy dinner.
But that somebody wasn't going to be volunteery. It had to be settled with a game of carrom. The loser would have to go and buy dinner without any complaints and regardless of whether it was raining or not.
It was a match of courage and also enhanced by the extreme laziness within both of us.
Neither of us wanted to go out and buy, and if there wasn't a bet at all, we probably would be starving throughout the night.

We sat down, arranged the seeds in position and started off with the game. We felt that our accuracy had increased tenfold and we were like finishing up the game real fast. This wouldn't have happened if we were just playing a casual round. It was like a matter of life and death and we were so afraid of losing that we were been pushed over our limits sub-consciously.
Talk about a few thousand dollars in stake and we might transform into someone whom nobody has ever seen. Someone who even a carrom God wouldn't want to mess around with. Someone who probably score a seed with every move, or even finishing up a game with just a single strike at the start.

Kong won the match and I immediately suggested a few more games. The best of 3 games would decide our fate. It was not because I was a sore loser or anything like that. I figured out that it would be more fair to determine the winner with more rounds.
I won 2 matches consecutively and Kong and it seemed like he had to go and buy.
Since I was given a chance at first, I didn't see why Kong wasn't given too. So we decided to go for the best of 5. Kong was given a final chance to beat me but he had to win 2 rounds continuously in order to win. I only had to win one more. Luck was on my side and I managed to win another time. By then, we were already fucking hungry and there wasn't going to be a best of 7 or whatever. Kong was convinced that he was the chosen one and he left to buy dinner.

By around 8pm, all 3 of us were present.
We ate our dinner and carried on playing carrom. Winner stays and loser gets out. The loser would be left unoccupied and he had to open and lock the side door for anyone who was going home late.
To me, it was fucking troublesome to open and lock the side door for the people going home. The side door is a walking distance and every now and then people would be going out. It's not like we could leave the side door open. We had to open the door and lock it once the person goes out.
The interval of people going home can sometimes train one in obtaining gold for shuttle run.
I was too lazy for this crap.
I wasn't surprised myself, when I won about 10 matches consecutively. Li Soon and Kong were taking turns trying their best to win me. But I was too damn lazy and the aura just drives my passion from within. No way was I going to stand up and go over to the side door.
Even though Kong lost many games, he didn't really had to go over to the side door. It was Li Soon, whose luck was fucked up, that made him went to and fro like a string puppet.
I guess the reason why I lost to Kong after several games was because I had became tired from the game and the peak of people going home had ended.
We then slept at 11 plus after returning the carrom board and seeds to the mess room.

Sometimes laziness do helps in making one excel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home